When the temperature warms up, flowers start to bloom and a light breeze is in the air, it usually signals that spring is around the corner. For most families, the spring season also means a spring break vacation for students from schools. Though spring break can be the opportunity for families to spend quality time together on vacation, not all parents have the time to take off from work or can afford to. A staycation, when a family participates in leisure activities close to or at home, can provide affordable or low-cost choices.
Here are 10 spring break ideas to take advantage of with your family this year:
1. Libraries across the country have spring break programs (reading contests, music, movies, etc.) that are free to the community and are suitable for all age groups. Contact your local library and ask for a list of activities they have going on while your kids are out of school to see what’s right for your family.
2. Museums and children’s museums have spring break hours, exhibits and special interactive programs for children of various ages. Find out what’s happening at your local museums or children’s museums.
3. Movie theaters often offer a discounted price for showtimes during the day, or all day on select weekdays. Contact your local cinema to see what deals they may have!
4. Children’s theatres often offer discounted or free plays for young audiences. Find a local theatre in your area to see what shows are coming up! Or check out Kids Night On Broadway for New York and national events.
5. U.S. National Parks offer specials, including free entrance days in the national parks. Log on to the National Park Service for more information. Additionally, all active duty military can receive a free annual pass to national parks and sites.
6. Theme parks and water parks have special spring break hours and discounts for families to enjoy a day at the park. Search local amusement parks here.
7. Zoos and aquariums offer special hours, discounts and children activities during spring break. Find out what’s going on at your local zoos and aquariums.
8. Petting zoos and pick your own farms are a fun family outing that provides access to animals, fruits and vegetables. Find a local petting zoo or pick your own farms near you to plan a fun day out together.
9. The YMCA has camps, exercise and swimming lessons for the entire family. Find more information about the YMCA and their spring break camps.
10. Kids can eat free at some of your family’s favorite restaurants nationwide. Log on to see what’s nearby and enjoy a nice night out together.
We hope you enjoy your spring break with your family no matter what you end up deciding to do!