This easy homemade pickled cabbage & carrot recipe is made from scratch with just very basic ingredients everyone has in the kitchen – white/red cabbage, carrots, water, salt, sugar and vinegar!
- a white or red big cabbage
- 2 carrots
- 1L of water
- 1/2 cup of sugar
- 2 table spoons of salt
- 100 ml of white vinegar
- Prepare a big jar (3L) or a plastic food container (3L).
- Wash the cabbage (middle to big size), cut out the top leaves and throw them. Finely chop the cabage and the 2 carrots with the knife, you can also use a cabbage slicer to speed up the process and keep your fingers safe 🙂 .
- Mix the chopped cabbage and carrots in a large bowl. Squeeze the mix with your hands for a minute, so the cabbage will give a bit of juice.
- Fill the (well washed) jar with the mix of vegies.
- Prepare the marinade: In boiling water, add salt and sugar, leave it to boil for 2 minutes, mix it well with a hand mixer. Remove the pan from the oven top and add vinegar. Marinade is ready!
- Pour the hot marinade to the jar filled with the vegetable mix.
- Close the jar with a lid and put it to the fridge or a cool dark and dry place for 24 hours (or 48 hours if you want the pickled cabbage to become very soft).
- You can serve it with marinade in a plate or with sunflower/olive oil. Add it to hot dogs and sandwiches.
Your tasty, and most importantly, healthy cabbage pickles are ready to serve, and you can safely use cabbage not only in culinary, but also for medicinal purposes! Thanks to its high content of nutrients, vitamins, trace elements and fibbers.
Did you know that pickled cabbage is the source of vitamins B, A, C, pp, E, n (biotin), a huge amount of trace elements (calcium, magnesium, phosphorus, sodium, sulfur, chlorine, potassium), it also has a lot of macro (iron, iodine, zinc, manganese, copper, fluorine, chromium, molybdenum and others)?!!!
This, easy to make pickle increases immunity, enhances body stamina, activates metabolism, stimulates the production of red blood cells and rejuvenation of the body tissues, it reduces cholesterol and strengthens the heart. It also activates bowel activity, improving its microflora.
It is especially useful for metabolic problems, it is shown by patients with diabetes mellitus, as well as people with some diseases of the gastrointestinal tract. Medical research data confirm the ability of pickled cabbage to slow down the process of dividing cancer cells, especially when it comes to malignant tumours of the mammary gland, intestines and lungs.
Enjoy my super tasty pickled cabbage and stay healthy!
Photos and recipe by Fury Princess