I was lucky enough to spend this winter exploring the beautiful sights of Austria, Germany and Slovakia. Coming from Cape Town (where it’s summer) and having grown up in California, I was having some trouble deciding which outerwear would be best for my first European winter, and basically what to pack for winter in Europe all together!
After three weeks of adventures, here’s my recommended European winter packing checklist:
- (3) Heavy Coats: I opted for a white oversized fluffy coat (the ultimate marshmallow!), a camel coat for a neutral option to mix and match with all my outfits, and a red coat for some pop of color.
- (5) Sweaters: I chose a white, cream, black, and grey sweater to mix and match under coats — plus a super soft mustard turtleneck to pair with the camel coat.
- (2) Long Sleeve Shirts: I wore these as undergarments under sweaters on really cold days!
- (3) Pairs of Pants: Black fleece leggings are my favorite for cold weather destinations (you can layer them under jeans or wear with tunics or sweater dresses). I also brought along a pair of black and light blue jeans!
- (3) Pairs of Shoes: I love booties so I brought along dark brown heeled booties, a pair of black over-the-knee boots to pair with my black leggings, and my black Doc Martin boots. I want to mention that I had to double up on wool socks to stay warm in the Docs though. What I didn’t bring, but wish I had, was a comfy pair of warm, winter boots like these!
- Accessories: My winter style accessories included a black brimmed hat, ear muffs, black and cream beanies, comfy scarves, and a pair of black and brown leather gloves.
- Swimsuit: You’ll want at least one bikini for thermal baths or hotel spas!
- Purse: I always take my camera purse or messenger bag with me to use as a day bag!
Check out more European Winter Outfit Inspiration based off my outfits from the trip!
Actual: Mustard Sweater / Camel Coat / Purse
Actual: Over the Knee Boots / Black Denim
Actual: Cream Sweater / Camel Coat / Over the Knee Boots
Actual: Faux Fur Coat (Tan) / Black Boots
Actual: Cream Sweater / Camel Coat
Please note that some of the links below are affiliate links, and at no additional cost to you, I earn a small commission if you make a purchase. That income goes to supporting this website and keeping it free for you and everyone else! As always, ideas and opinions expressed in this post are entirely my own.
READ NEXT: Danube Christmas Market River Cruise with Crystal Cruises
PIN ME FOR LATER!
What to Pack for Winter in Europe is a post from: The Blonde Abroad