New research by Danish scientists suggests that red cabbage halves the risk of breast cancer in women. Having learned about this news, we decided to take a closer look at this vegetable – why is it especially useful?
The unique benefits of red (or, as it is also called, blue cabbage) are contained in its color. The saturated color is explained by a large number of anthocyanins. These substances have strong antioxidant properties. Anthocyanins do more than just stain food. They can inhibit the formation and growth of cancerous tumors, limit oxidative stress in the body and fight against carcinogens that enter the body, are inhaled or absorbed in other ways.
Anthocyanins strengthen the walls of blood vessels, make them elastic. They are also able to help prevent and treat many diseases, from Parkinson to asthma and from diabetes to hypertension. A diet rich in anthocyanins can dramatically limit the risk of developing cancer and other diseases.
Red cabbage has a beneficial effect on the heart, improves skin condition – it was called the “source of youth” in ancient times. Moreover, other dark foods such as blueberries, cocoa and pomegranate are also rich in anthocyanins.
This is an incredibly healthy vegetable that contains a huge amount of vitamins and mineral salts.
Bright, festive cabbage with red-purple leaves should be one of the most popular vegetables on our tables.
What to cook with red cabbage?
First of all, salad certainly comes to mind! Indeed, it is enough to chop cabbage and season any delicious dressing or just olive oil, add nuts, micro greenery – and the salad is ready. Or you can use the following recipe for a more complex and sophisticated salad.
Chinese red cabbage salad
Ingredients: chicken fillet – 200 g, red cabbage – 200 g, ketchup 100 g, sesame oil – 12 ml, soy sauce – 40 ml., honey – 30 g, red onion – 15 g. sesame seeds – ¼ tsp., peanut butter – 70 g.
- Pour cold water into a small pan, put the chicken fillet, bring to a boil, cook for a minute and remove from heat. Let cool in water for about 15 minutes – so the chicken will remain juicy.
- Thinly cut red cabbage, add a teaspoon of salt and leave for 15 minutes.
- Now is the time to make the sauces. For the first sauce, take ketchup, 30 ml of soy sauce, 10 ml of sesame oil, honey and whisk with a whisk.
- For the second sauce, mix with a whisk until the consistency of mayonnaise peanut butter, 2 ml of sesame oil, 10 ml of soy sauce and 2 tablespoons of water.
- Cut the finished chicken into slices half a centimeter thick. Spread the cling film, lay half of the chicken on it, pull it tightly into a bag and put in the refrigerator for 15 minutes. Do the same with the second half.
- Rinse softened cabbage. Add to it a little chopped red onion and a tablespoon of red sauce, mix. Put the cabbage on a plate in a slide. In the center, make indentations – so that the slide becomes more like a bird’s nest.
- Swaddle chilled chicken and place the chicken balls in the recesses in the cabbage nests.
- Put peanut sauce on top of the chicken, sprinkle with sesame seeds and stick a sprig of parsley. Pour the remaining red sauce around for beauty.
Images credit: unsplash.com
READ ALSO 5 Detox Products for Everyday